7/14/2007

Ducking Out...

There are times when each of us needs to kick back, to take a short break, if only to recharge our batteries.

That's exactly what I'm doing, taking a short break. My son is away for summer camp, so the timing is ideal. Going to catch up with a friend or two, since that's a bit overdue. Might luxuriate and sleep in some mornings, possibly get out and shoot a few photos. 

Now I know that rumors and speculation can occasionally run rampant here, and just to clarify things for once and all, here's what I'm not going to do:

  • Not wandering off to some enclave populated by people sporting shaved heads from some Eastern religious order in the Pennsylvania hills to try and "find myself."  Nothing against those who want to find themselves, but I don't feel like finding myself right now, and occasionally like being a bit lost from time to time.
     
  • Not wandering off to that nudist sex colony in Florida for a chance to mingle in the raw with B-movie stars waiting to get discovered. Haven't been naked in public for a few years now, and don't need to have to deal with a sunburn on my nether regions.
     
  • Not going to one of the workshops for writers that I've been thinking about for the last couple of years. The one in North Carolina that I had thought about ends this weekend. The one in Paris is too far away and non parlez francais, si vous plait. And that one for "open-minded writers of adult fiction and fantasy" worries me a bit, as they said that they "encourage total immersion in the experience"... whatever the hell that means.

But my non-Apple mp3 player is loaded with everything from Regina Spektor, Gogol Bordello, Amy Winehouse and Tom Waits, to some jazz and classical. I've included a couple of new versions of Carl Orff's "O, Fortuna" from Carmina Burana because I can't make up my mind which is best. If I want to go woods or trail riding, my mountain bike is now tuned properly, and I can hold off replacing the old gel seat for another year. Got another memory card for my digital camera in case I find some interesting things, or people, to capture through its lens.

So that's it, ready to take a break for a few days, and maybe even for a week. If you absolutely, positively have too reach me, send me an email or a message through here. Those of you who have my phone number know that I'll answer if I'm around, and if not, just leave a message.
 
And with that said, I'm ducking out - see you soon!

Technorati Tags: jargontalk, lexidiem, writer workshops, ducks, nudist, Buzznet, Regina Spektor, Gogol Bordello, Amy Winehouse, Tom Waits, O Fortuna, e-mail, no pule zone, ducking out

3 comments:

DeLi said...

hello john, im a tad late in commenting but i did in the bnet journal earlier :)

we all need break from time to time. hope twas a great one for you...

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hope that your break was a good one, relaxing and not too eventful. And just stay from those nutcases on the Buzznet forums for awhile!

none said...

hope you had a good break. we all need a break sometimes... some more often than others. i am in constant need of a break... even when i am taking a break i think i need a break! ha!